Monday, January 27, 2014

Flatbread/Quick Tortes De Aceite

These just might be the most spectacular thing I had made in awhile. What really makes them rock is that they are also one of the easiest things in the world to make and are incredibly versatile. In one batch I made a classical flatbread with some rosemary, anise and coarse salt, and a cheating version of tortes de aceite with anise and brown sugar. Shockingly enough my favorite one was probably the one I made by mistake (I grabbed caraway instead of rosemary) with himalayan pink salt and caraway seeds.
We had these with our teas for our afternoon tea on a blustering, cold, and yet sunny afternoon, and while the plan was to save one of the savory ones for dinner that plan never came to fruition:) The recipe I used is an old favorite from smitten kitchen for crisp flatbread with just a few changes.

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbs baking powder
1 tbs brown sugar (I think sugar helps in savory or sweet incarnations of this recipe, but definitely crucial for the fake tortes de aceite)
1/2 teaspoon himalayan pink salt
1/3 c olive oil (definitely not something you want to mess with- olive oil is what I think makes this whole thing rock)
1/2 c water

I split this into three cookie sheet sized flatbreads. Some similar recipes including the smittenkitchen one call for brushing the flatbread with olive oil right before baking- I find that that makes the flatbreads way too heavy. On the other hand, if you do not brush them with oil you might want to press the goodies on top into the dough a bit or else they'll just slide off once cooked.
Preheat oven to 450 and bake for 8 minutes on a pre-heated baking sheet (it helps to make the flatbread on the parchment paper so you can easily transfer them).

No comments:

Post a Comment